Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Teacher Teacheran

“It is impossible to claim that all good teachers use similar techniques: some lecture nonstop and others speak very little; some stay close to their material and others loose the imagination; some teach with the carrot and others with the stick. But in every instance, good teachers share one trait: a strong sense of personal identity infuses their work. ‘Dr. A is really there when he teaches.’ ‘Mr. B has such enthusiasm for his subject.’ ‘You can tell that this is really Prof. C’s life.’ ” --Parker Palmer, The Courage to Teach

Learning and teaching is the concern of a student teacher. But these two are complex process. It can however be defined as a change in disposition; a relatively permanent change in behaviour overtime and this is brought about by experience. Learning can occur as a result of newly acquired skill, knowledge, perception, facts, principles, new information at hand etc.

My interaction with my new environment brought me great changes in my behaviour. These changes are also the acquisition of new and more knowledge, skills, and attitudes that enables me as a learner to make better and more adequate reactions, responses and adjustments to new situations and conditions. Learning in the real sense can be measured by how many ideas and experiences have been left in the individual after the teaching or experiencing process has been done.

The first time I stepped on the grounds of Makati High School, stream of thoughts was playing in my mind about growing so much as a future teacher. I was very excited to meet the person, my CT, who will be a big part of my learning and my growth. Now all I can say is that, she didn’t fail me. My growth was beyond compare, I am a better and more determined student soon to be teacher. The learning I had will be forever in my heart.

Faces of the students that I encountered are engraved in my heart. I think I have learned more compared to the things I’ve thought them. It is I who eventually become the teacher in front. It is heart warming to see that they, the students, follow you not because they are afraid but they do respect you a lot. Respect can’t be gain instantly even if you are a teacher; you need to work hard for it to gain it. You need to let the students realize that you are there not to boss around but because you care for them as if they are part of your life. Let them feel you love them for them to be able to love themselves.

The four walls of the faculty served as my home. The whole vicinity of Makati High School served as my sanctuary!!!

Thank YOU!!!

Mark Christopher D. Mellor
Student Teacher, 1st quarter 2010-2011

No comments:

Post a Comment