Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Valedictory Address 2007


Graduation is the end for some but for me it is a new beginning for a more challenging life. Seeing you from up here wearing your toga makes me smile. It makes me realize how fast time goes by. I can't imagine that it has been already four years since I made my very first step in Pasay City West High School. And today, we have fulfilled our long time dream that one day, each one of us, graduates, will receive our diploma which I believe is not only our dream but our parents' dream for all of us.

I feel very excited today but a little scared as I deliver this much coveted address. Excited because I know that this is not the end but also a start of something new in my life. I'm a little scared because I don't know if I can really face the new challenges that will come my way but I know with all the knowledge I learned and all the values and virtues that my family, my teachers, my fellow students and special friend imparted in me, I will be able to make all my dreams come true.

My four years in high school is not that easy. Like all of you, I experienced hardships and trials that I almost give up, like sleepless nights, coming to school early, cramming to submit projects and requirements on time. Those bundles of work given by our teachers were truly a challenge for all of us. In fact, many times we were caught unaware by our teachers not ready with our assignments, projects and other requirements. But through the motivation of my family and friends and those people special to me. I was able to get through those trials.

Yet, high school is not just about books, notebooks and blackboards. It's about life --- our first true peers, our first loves and our first heart breaks. It is true that high school is the happiest moment in the life of every teenager. It is where many experiences are being shared especially the laughter and the tears. I cannot but bear in my mind that high school is a molding institution of the youth.

Here I am today, picking the fruit of my hard labor. However, what I am able to accomplish is not a one man work. Without them --- my inspiration and those people who believed and guided me, I wouldn't be here in front of you. At this point, I would like to take the opportunity to extend my gratitude to my parents. Mama and Papa, you've always been my reason to strive. I may not have been the perfect son, yet for you I am and will always be. I always remember when my mom asked me, that if I would be given a chance to choose another parent who and why. Now I want you to know that my answer is... still you Ma and Pa. In spite of the misunderstandings and all the troubles I caused you, you've always been there for me, loving me unconditionally. Your love and care have made me stronger to fight trials and for that I can say, this honor belongs to you. 


To our unsung heroes, our dear teachers. I know that the job you have performed is not only a profession but more of a vocation. On behalf of my fellow students, I am heartily expressing our gratitude to our mentors for making us what we are today. Dear teachers, thank you for empowering us with the knowledge and skills we need in facing lives' many challenges. Thank you for developing in us the values that make us better persons. And thank you for patiently bearing the pains we have caused you for years. We will never forget you, you will be forever in our hearts. We will always pray that the good Lord will continue to bless you with good health for you to be able to empower more young people like us with the things needed in life's tests.

I bet each one of you fellow graduates has your own special teacher who served as your second parent. In my four years in high school there, there were teachers that taught me more than just what is written in the textbooks. There was this very special teacher who ignited my feelings and desire to be on top. She once said and I quote, "Gusto kong marinig sayo ang valedictory address." Your words greatly challenge me and here I am Ma'am Aslarona, I have lived up to your words. I would also like to extend my never-ending thanks to Ma'am Atienza, Sir Cannon, Ma'am Lara, Ma'am Sipalay, Sir Del Rosario, Sir Sandajan, Sir Ention, Ma'am Abella and all the other teachers from 1st-4th year who have made me for what I am now, especially to Ma'am Monzon and Mr. Quizon who developed my skills in Mathematics, Mr. Manaog and Ma'am Andalencio who helped me excel in science. Mr. De Vera and Mr. Macaspag who served as my second Dad. And most especially to my adviser for two years, Mrs. Gloria Castillo who, in her own ways contributed to my success and excellence. Thank you our loving principal, Dr. Myrna M. Sarmiento, for your continous support to us students. Now, I am fully convinced that teachers are not ordinary people in the society, they are the molders and architects of tomorrow's leaders! 

I would also like to give thanks to my former classmates especially to Mary Jane Castro. Mary Jane even though you're not with us today ( she died from an accident ), I know that the memories and the lessons you have shared with us will always be in our hearts. I want to thank you for the important lesson you have thought us. You helped us realize that there's nothing permanent in this world. That anything could be happen in just a blink of an eye. And we also learned that everything happens for a reason in God's will, what is hard is knowing that reason... And thank you for those people who believed and stayed by my side in hard times and moments of criticism: Marvin Protacio(geek), Suzanne Elesterio(pards), Agnes TalaƱa(VP, SSG-true friend), Rogelio Docena(geek - my bestfriend), Stephanie Faisan, Precious Mae Berdiago, Lorainne Poniente and to Ms. Renalyn G. Brown, my success is nothing if not shared with you. And for those people whom I've thought to be on my side, thank you for letting me realize that I can't please everybody. In that way, you made me stronger-- I have gained the strength to pursue and fight for my dreams. Honestly, you served as my inspiration to strive harder. Lastly, I gratefully thank the Lord for providing me peace of mind in times of confusion, for giving me the best gift I've ever had -- my life.

Everything must come to an end but every end is just a start of a new beginning. If you fall and lose something, don't quit! Instead bounce back higer carrying the lessons you've learned. Always remember that the winner never quits and the quitter never wins.

Farewell to you my alma mater. We will never forget the life experiences you have given us. We will always treasure them as we unravel the path for excellence and as we are empowered by you for greater productivity.

Thank you!

Once again PCWHS batch 2006-2007 CONGRATULATIONS!!


MABUHAY TAYONG LAHAT!!!

3 comments:

  1. thanks jasmine! keep reading. di lang ako masyado makapag post ngayon :) hehe! please tell them to follow this blog! paki follow nadin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow valedictorian,,, congats...
    thanks nga pala sa pag add mu sa blog ko... i'll add u 2 my blogroll too...

    ReplyDelete